In the last post we looked at some of the hottest players on the market. Now, I want to try something different. I have picked out a few teams, especially the ones who could really change things up and make a splash along with some of the teams who usually spend spend spend with holes to fill fill fill!
Here are 6 teams that I am watching closely. Maybe these GM's in the MLB will find this post and take some of my ideas into consideration. Then again, I do run a great fantasy team. It's all the same thing, right? Below I have provided a to-do list for 6 teams and GM's who really need my help the most......
New York Yankees
1. Sign C.C. Sabathia
2. Sign Mark Teixeira
3. Sign A.J. Burnett
4. Flip Swisher in a deal for Peavy!
5. Trade some package of Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Nick Swisher for Jake Peavy
6. Trade Robinson Cano to Joe Torre and the Dodgers for Matt Kemp
7. Sign Orlando Hudson
8. Resign Andy Pettitte, Give him his $16 million!
... In a perfect world....
Starting Rotation- Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Peavy, Pettitte
Bullpen - Put Joba back in the 8th inning!
Lineup - Damon-LF, Jeter-SS, Tex-1B, A-Rod-3B, Kemp-CF, Nady-RF, Matsui-DH, Posada-C, Hudson-2B
New York Mets
1. Find a way to dump the contract of Luis Castillo
2. Give Daniel Murphy a shot to be your everyday 2B
3. Sign Brian Fuentes and save some dough
4. Make a trade for J.J. Putz and make him your set up man and insurance policy if Fuentes craps out
5. For heaven's sake, trade Aaron Heilman so he can start somewhere please!!!
6. Sign Ivan Rodriguez. We love the work ethic of Brian Schneider but his bat just doesn't get it done
7. Resign Oliver Perez or Pedro Martinez
8. Sign Ben Sheets or Derek Lowe
9. Give Fernando Martinez a shot in RF or Sign Pat Burrell or Raul Ibanez! Or.....
10. Want to real wreak havoc??? Sign Bobby Abreu!! There, that takes care of all your problems! Abreu/Beltran/Church in the OF, Murphy at 2B, Sheets or Lowe as 5th starter
Boston Red Sox
1. Sign Derek Lowe
2. Keep Justin Masterson in the bullpen
3. Resign Jason Varitek, he deserves the money! He defines Boston Red Sox!
That's it! Why mess with the chemistry of that team. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
San Diego Padres
1. Trade Jake Peavy to the Yankees for Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and one or two more prospects
2. Sign Felipe Lopez to play SS after trading Khalil Greene
3. Trade a minor leaguer or two to the Mets for Brian Schneider to help build your pitching staff
4. Make a play for Ben Sheets to top off your rotation with Chris Young
5. Give Cesar Carrillo a shot at the 4th or 5th spot
6. Give Matt Antonelli a shot at 2B
7. Promote Heath Bell to closer
8. Sign any 2 or 3 of these guys - Oliver Perez, Pedro Martinez, Braden Looper, Carl Pavano, Kenny Rogers, Brad Penny, Mark Mulder, Bartolo Colon, Livan Hernandez, Randy Johnson... a lot of useful SP's with stuff left in the tank.
Melky-CF, Lopez-SS, A-Gone-1B, Kouzmanoff-3B, Headley-LF, Giles-RF, Antonelli-2B, Schneider-C
Potential Starting Rotation.....
Young, Sheets, Looper, Pavano, Carrillo
Why not rebuild with some potential here. Pavano, if healthy could be a huge pick up on the super cheap! Now you just turned a potentially pitiful looking team into something to work with. There's a bunch of good young players with upside here to build around. Make it happen people! Supposedly, the Padres want to get their salary down into the $40's because of a messy divorce, so the chances are good that my plan here is shot to shit!
San Francisco Giants
1. Pass on C.C. Sabathia
2. Sign Edgar Renteria and actually finalize it!
3. Sign Orlando Hudson before the Yankees can, or sign Jerry Hairston, Jr. to play 2B
4. Sign Casey Blake or Joe Crede to play 3B
5. Sign Adam Dunn or Raul Ibanez to play RF
6. Trade Randy Winn or Fred Lewis to Tampa Bay for Edwin Jackson or Andy Sonnanstine
7. Pablo Sandoval moves to 1B
9. Trade Jonathon Sanchez or Noah Lowry to anyone to fill whatever position I mentioned above doesn't get filled via free agency! ... or flop Sonnanstine or Jackson!
Bullpen is solid
Rotation just needs a guy like Randy Johnson or even an Oliver Perez type. Looper or Pavano could be good options as well. But really want to make a splash and win? If you have the money, why not sign Johnson.
Lineup need a major makeover and adding this power and role players turns this team into a playoff contender, even without C.C.
Tampa Bay Rays
1. Sign Pat Burrell to DH
2. Offer Edwin Jackson or Andy Sonnanstine to San Francisco for Randy Winn or Fred Lewis
3. Make David Price your 5th starter
4. Sign Trevor Hoffman to take the risk Troy Percival brings
5. Move Crawford into the 5thor 6th spot to help develop production and keep Akinori Iwamura in the lead off spot
6. Sign Jim Edmonds as a team leader, role player and to play RF!
Iwamura-2B, Upton-CF, Pena-1B, Longoria-3B, Burrell-DH, Crawford-LF, Edmunds-RF, Navarro-C, Bartlett-SS
That one's a no brainer!
So am I crazy? Does anyone see potential here??????