Let's break down the MLB trade deadline and how it effects the NL fantasy landscape.
The Little Trades - Let's start with the little guys because as my friend Rodney says.... "they get no respect".
- Christian Guzman who was having a very good year as one's 3rd middle infelder leaves for the AL.
- Chad Qualls who started the season as the D-Backs closer before imploding was sent to Tampa (no big loss here).
- Blake Dewitt goes from the Dodgers to the Cubs maybe the Cubs see what DeWitt can do the last 60 games.
- Chris Snyder should now see regular AB's going to Pittsburgh but he'll kill your average.
Changing of the Bullpens:
- With Dotel getting traded to the Dodgers, obviously Dotel will no longer get saves but in Pittsburgh for now the closer duties will be shared by Joel Hanrahan & Evan Meek. One would believe long term Meek will be the closer but that the Pirates are doing this to ease Meek into being the stopper
- Matt Capps gets traded to the AL (Twins) so the closer duties in DC will be shared by Tyler Clippard & Drew Storen. Again the Nats are doing this to ease Storen into the closers role.
Leaving for the AL:
- Edwin Jackson who had a terrible year (how does he have 2 good years in the AL and then bomb in the NL?) was sent off to the White Sox.
- Jorge Cantu a real solid fantasy bat leaves the AL for Texas
- Lance Berkman while hitting in the .240's did provide some punch as he leaves for the Bronx
Not Star Names But Can help you down the stretch:
- Miguel Tejada can give you a good depth bat to fill a whole in your roster
- Brett Wallace the power prospect Houston got from Toronto takes over at 1B for the departed Berkman. Wallace in 95 games at AAA this year had 18HR, 61RBI, 64R, 1SB & .301 Avg
- Scott Podsednik can really help you in the SB category, had 30 steals for KC
- Jake Westbrook joins the Cards and can be a good back of the rotation guy for you. Dave Duncan works wonders remember
- Rick Ankiel goes to Atlanta and provides the Braves with more pop and depth. Remember Ankiel hit 25HR in 08 for the Cards.
- Adam Dunn was not traded. Makes no sense but NL only owners should be happy he did not got the AL
- Ryan Ludwick stays in the NL but now his home park is Petco in SD
- Wilson Ramos who was part of the Matt Capps trade could be the Nats future #1 catcher.
Keep in mind players can be still traded through August 31st. Only now players must clear waivers to be traded. With teams watching every dollar with payroll, very few players will be blocked in August who make a decent chunk of change.
NL King - C.Lizza