Okay we are going to do a bunch of quick hits this morning in no particular order.
- Eric Young Jr was designated for assignment by the Rockies. The Rockies finally realized that Tyler Colvin is a much more valuable player. Colvin owners can relax now as he is here to stay the rest of the season and if Colvin is on your waiver wire I recommend picking him up. Young Jr is just hitting .242 with OBP .290. I expect some team would be interested to improve their bench.
- Tony Cingrani seems to be heading back to AAA with Johnny Cueto slated to start Sunday. Cingrani is ready for prime time as in 7 starts with the Reds he is 3-0 with 3.15 ERA & 0.98 Ratio. However everyone is pitching well in the Reds rotation so Cingrani will have to bide his time. Keep in mind Bronson Arroyo is a free agent after the season so Cingrani will be part of the Reds rotation come opening day next year.
- With the Giants without Scutaro for a while with that nasty finger injury & Panda on the DL with another injury look for the Giants to see if they can pick up some infield help. For a week you can live with Abreu & Arias but how much more than that?
- Danny Espinosa is on the comeback trail but Nats might use this time to work on his swing so may not see Espinosa until end of June - July 1st. Rendon doing well at the plate but has made 5 errors in 14 games and that's a problem.
- Tigers closer Jose Valverde painful blown save yesterday versus Royals should be an indication the Tigers who many believe have a World Series team, will go out and get a closer before the July 31st deadline. Houston Street of the Padres would seem like a good fit.
- With the huge success of Jean Segura who the Brewers received in the Zach Greinke trade makes you think Brewers GM Doug Melvin might be wise to trade Hart before the July 31st deadline (assuming he is healthy) for prospects. Brewers have plenty of bats need depth in pitching both in the rotation and the bullpen. The Pirates would be a great fit.
- I heard Peter Gammons talking that Phils might put Cliff Lee out there in the trade market come July and that Texas would be the front runner. NL only Cliff Lee owners would not like that.
- When Ike Davis was sent down was it curious to anyone that Daniel Murphy who has worked so hard to become a decent 2B was moved to 1B & Valdespin was put at 2B? I know the Mets want to see what they have with Valdespin during this time everyday and 2B is his natural position but what happens if Valdespin is doing well when Ike gets recalled? The Mets who have quality young assets but not a lot of depth in their organization could be looking to move Murphy whose value won't be any higher than it is now. Mets have young pitching that are close but no position players other than D'Arnaud. Mets need outfielders & probably a Shortstop.
- Have to figure Dodgers would love to move Ethier with the emergence of Puig but Ethier picked a bad time to have a bad 1st half (5HR, 17RBI, 16R, 0SB, .235 Avg) and is making 13.5 Million this year and is owed $71.5 Million from 2014 - 2017 at ages 32-35. Dodgers going to have eat a decent portion of that contract to move him.
- Be interesting to see who the odd man out is in the Braves rotation when Beachy is ready to join the team. So who goes to the bullpen? Is it Beachy, Medlen or Teheran?
Follow me on Twitter @ TheNLKing
NL King - C.Lizza